UISG focused over summer, prepared for school year

After a summer of traveling and lobbying for Iowa students, the University of Iowa Student Government will adjust its focus to programs that will specifically affect UI students. The group’s top three initiatives are aimed to help students save money, time, and the planet.

Textbook Tax Rebate

UISG members will set up a booth outside the University Bookstore from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to provide everything students need to save money on their textbooks.

By filling out a form and sending it to the state, students will receive 7 percent back on any textbooks purchased form the University Bookstore.

“It’s really helpful,” UISG Vice President Jack Cumming said. “Especially if you’re spending $500 on textbooks.”

Although this program began last year, UISG plans on expanding it this year. It has invested $92 in this program this year, primarily for stamps.

“We’ll have stamps, we’ll have envelopes, we’ll have a form, and we’ll know how to fill out the form,” UISG President Katherine Valde said. “So hopefully, we’ll catch people as they’re coming out and say ‘save your receipts, it’s super easy.’ ”

Students expect that the program will be helpful.

“I think it’ll help students a lot because tuition’s so high that textbooks are also kind of killing you,” sophomore Sarah Flathers said. “So just to get some rebate and get some money back would be a nice way to help with tuition.”

Charger Checkout

Along with a new look, the Learning Commons in the Main Library will also receive chargers courtesy of UISG.

With a budget of approximately $500, UISG will provide a variety of chargers for students’ convenience. Using the central services at the Main Library as a checkpoint, students will be able to use the chargers beginning around a month after school starts.

“They’re sort of going to get adjusted to the system, and then about a month in is when we’ll bring in our chargers, and that will be made possible,” Valde said.

Brody DeBettignies, the executive in charge of the program,  said UISG is looking at supplying 10 to 12 chargers, split evenly between Macs and PCs.

“This is something really easy and helpful that we can help students out with late at night, so you don’t have to walk back to your apartment or dorm room if you’re studying late at night,” DeBettignies said. “It’s just a small change to make the students’ experience much better.”

Students say they are also excited about this new service.

“Charger’s are bulky, so then you don’t have to carry them,” sophomore Chantal Kitchen said. “It’s just convenient to have it there already.”

Bike-Sharing Program

During last year’s campaign for student government, Valde found that students were most in favor of the bike-sharing campaign and because of this support, the program is a top priority for UISG this year.