Gronstal not seeking seat for governor 

Iowa’s Senate Majority Leader has announced he will not make a run for governor in the upcoming 2014 election.

Mike Gronstal of Council Bluffs made the announcement in a statement Tuesday.

“My No. 1 goal in 2014 is to maintain the Democratic majority in the Iowa Senate, not run for governor,” Gronstal said.

For the past 17 years, he has served as the minority or the majority leader of the Iowa Senate.

Noting Gov. Terry Branstad’s poor record, Gronstal said he believes Democrats have a good chance to win the office in 2014.

While he has not officially announced a bid for a sixth gubernatorial term, Branstad has been raising money and hiring additional campaign staff members.

“I have had the honor and privilege of leading an amazing and diverse group of Democratic senators, he said. “We all have worked on a list of accomplishments that have helped make Iowa a better place to work, live, and raise a family.”

“Because of the lack of leadership and accomplishment by the current governor, this decision was not an easy one to make,” Gronstal said. “Branstad has failed to keep the promises he made to Iowa voters during the 2010 campaign. Most important, Gov. Branstad has failed miserably in his efforts to boost job-creation efforts across the state because he has focused his efforts on luring mega-corporations to Iowa and dismantling the state’s network for services that had been provided to jobless Iowans.

“Because of Gov. Branstad’s poor leadership and lack of results, I am optimistic that Democrats have an excellent chance to regain the Governorship in 2014,” he said.

Gronstal’s announcement to not seek the seat comes on the heels of recent bids. To date, Democrats seeking the nomination include Rep. Tyler Olson of Cedar Rapidsand Des Moines residents Sen. Jack Hatch and former Rep. Bob Krause.

— by Quentin Misiag