Fired UI surgeon still seeking relicensing

DES MOINES — A doctor fired from the University of Iowa in 2005 and later disciplined by the Iowa Board of Medicine said Tuesday that he will continue to fight to clear his name and reinstate his expired Iowa medical license.

Adel Al-Jurf lost his latest appeal last week when the Iowa Court of Appeals sided with the medical board in reprimanding Al-Jurf in 2011 and placing him on probation for three years.

“We find sufficient evidence supports the board’s finding that Dr. Al-Jurf’s interactions with his colleagues at University Hospitals constituted unethical conduct,” the court said in its ruling issued July 24. “His actions in threatening, demeaning, bullying, and interfering with the abilities of others to do their work failed to uphold dignity and honor in the medical profession.”

Reached at his Iowa City home on Tuesday, the 70-year-old Al-Jurf said the medical board made numerous legal errors and that he hasn’t given up fighting.

“I need to clear my name, and I need to correct errors so I can get the license without the conditions that have been imposed on me wrongly by the board,” he said.

Al-Jurf let his Iowa medical license expire in 2007, and when he tried to reinstate it, the medical board began its disciplinary action. He appealed the board’s findings, its public reprimand and other requirements for him to renew his license.

The board, which issues medical licenses and disciplines doctors, required him to complete mandatory training on identifying and preventing abuse and anger-management counseling.

The board concluded that Al-Jurf had engaged in a pattern of unprofessional, hostile and intimidating behavior in the practice of medicine. It took the disciplinary action based on the evidence that surfaced in his dismissal from the UI in 2005.

Several of his colleagues at the university complained that he subjected them to personal vilification and verbal abuse that created an unacceptable work environment. The university found he violated provisions of its operations manual regarding professional ethics and academic responsibility.

He appealed his dismissal and lost.

Al-Jurf was hired by the university in 1977, received tenure in 1981, and became a full professor in 1986. He was one of the highest-paid cancer surgeons at the university.