Branstad-Reynolds campaign makes hires

Iowa’s Congressional Districts are seeing renewed interest in the hiring of four new directors.

In a Tuesday news release, Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds announced the formation of the Gov. Branstad Committee — the pair’s campaign agency — and it has hired four field directors who will lead organization efforts in each of the state’s four Congressional Districts.

“Gov. Branstad and Lt. Gov. Reynolds are putting an emphasis on building a robust organization throughout the state,” campaign manager Jake Ketzner said in the release. “The organization we are building will be ready to hit the ground running should the governor and lieutenant governor decide to seek re-election and help elect Republicans up and down the ticket in 2014.”

Mount Vernon, Iowa, native Matt Leopold, who has served in numerous campaigns in eastern Iowa, will serve as the 1st Congressional District field director. His experience includes Iowa working for the Senate Republican Majority Fund in 2012, Dan Dolan for Congress 2012, and Miller-Meeks for Congress in 2010.

Nic Pottebaum will serve as the 2nd Congressional District field director. The native of Marion native and former University of Iowa Student Government president from May 2012-May 2013, has worked with the UI Students for Branstad campaign, serving as chairman in 2010, the Miller-Meeks for Congress in 2008 and 2010, Rudy Giuliani for President in 2008, and Jim Leach for Congress in 2006.

Lincoln, Ill., native and Western Kentucky University student Kaylee Carnahan will serve as the 3rd Congressional District field director. Carnahan worked for the Romney for President in Ohio campaign during the 2012 election and served as a field director for Roland Sledge for Railroad Commissioner in Houston. Since the 2012 election, Carnahan has worked at a public-relations firm in Louisville, Ky.

The 4th Congressional District field director position will be held by Stratford, Iowa, native Jacob Johnson.

He has worked in the Office of the Governor, served as a field director for Rep. Steve King’’s 2012 re-election campaign and worked as state coordinator for Brenna Findley for Iowa Attorney General in 2010. 

While Branstad has not officially announced re-election plans for the 2014 election, he continues to raise money and hire additional staff.

— by Quentin Misiag