Sindlinger featured in Sports Illustrated

Iowa women’s golf freshman Jessie Sindlinger will be featured in the July 29 issue of Sports Illustrated.

The Hawkeye’s successful high-school career and 2013 summer has led her to be one of six athletes mentioned in “Faces in the Crowd” — a weekly feature highlighting the success of amateur athletes across the nation.

Earlier this summer, Sindlinger won her fourth-consecutive individual state title. She was the first to accomplish that in more than 50 years and only the second player in state history to do so.

Sindlinger won by 8 strokes en route to leading Charles City High to its second state championship in the last three years.

The year before, Sindlinger led Charles City to a runner-up finish at state. She also won an individual conference and district title her junior and freshman year. Following her junior year at Charles City, Sindlinger qualified for the PGA Junior Championship.

Adding to her impressive high-school campaign, Sindlinger qualified for the 38th PGA Junior Championship at Trump National Golf Course in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday through Friday. She will represent Iowa PGA in the event.

To qualify for her second PGA Junior Championship, Sindlinger posted a 36-hole score of 147, with rounds of 72 and 75 at Ames Golf and Country Club to finish first in the section championship.

Sindlinger—a National Honor Society member who holds a 3.98 grade-point average—was named the Senior Girls’ Golf Athlete of the Year by the National High-School Coaches Association.