Logic, Smith each score 32 in win

Sam Logic and Nicole Smith each scored 32 points in last nights Game Time League semifinal playoff game. Their team defeated Kayla Timmerman’s team, 94-82, and earned a spot in Wednesday’s championship game.

“We knew it was going to be tough, and it was a real battle tonight,” Timmerman said. “We knew that we could hang with them, but they just made the better shots tonight.”

Timmerman was the overall leading scorer in last night’s contest, posting 41 points. The Hawkeye also grabbed 8 rebounds, and made 8 3-pointers in the second half alone.

But her efforts were not enough to stop the duo of Logic and Smith. Logic led her team on a 12-5 run to start the game and continued to dominate through the half. She had 18 points at halftime, when her team led 36-26.

Logic and her team kept the energy high at the start of the second half. They went on a 23-5 run, scoring 14-straight points at one point.

“They ran a zone on us, and that affected us a little bit in the first half,” Logic said. “It took us a while to get going, but we really started to hit our shots in the second half.”

Timmerman and her teammates looked all but defeated until a late-game run recharged their spirits. They scored 17-straight points late in the second half — spurred by 3 treys from Timmerman — to pull within 10 points.

“They hit some big 3s, by girls who don’t usually hit those kinds of shots. You just live with them.” Logic said. “If that’s the kind of shots they’re going to take, you just live with it.”

Smith’s dominance emerged in the second half. She scored 24 points in the second half after being held to just 8 in the first and grabbed 13 rebounds. She was 6-for-6 from the free-throw line and kept her team alive during the late run by Timmerman and her team. They outlasted the late run, and came up with the win.

Timmerman was without teammate Theairra Taylor, who missed her second-straight week because of a hamstring injury. Alexa Kastanek was also sidelined this week — she strained ligaments and tendons in her foot. Both players are expected to return to full health, but they didn’t want to risk greater injury in a summer-league game.

“I don’t want to push it too hard and make it worse than it already is,” Kastanek said. “If you push it, then you’ll just go backwards. And I definitely don’t want to do that.”

Logic’s team will take on Ally Disterhoft and Bethany Doolittle in the championship game on Wednesday. And while a championship game may bring some added hype for some, Logic is staying calm and knows what the game is really about.

“It’s another opportunity to play against that team again,” Logic said. “But really it’s an opportunity to work on your game and overall just have some fun.”