Iowa City couple charged after son found with bruises

An Iowa City couple have been charged after bruises were reportedly discovered on the buttocks of the woman’s 3-year-old son.

Page Gerard, 23, was charged on July 19 with prevention of apprehension/obstruction of prosecution.

According to a police complaint, a child-abuse investigation began on July 17 concerning Gerard’s 3-year-old son. A recent photo allegedly showed bruises on her son’s buttocks. An investigator asked Gerard to bring her son in for examination, and she allegedly lied and said she was out of town. She and her son were reportedly not staying at her residence and were found on July 19 hiding in Iowa City. Gerard allegedly admitted to hiding herself and her son from the police.

The live-in boyfriend of Gerard, Aaron Thomas was charged on July 19 with child endangerment causing injury for allegedly being the one to cause the bruises. On July 15, Thomas allegedly spanked Gerard’s son as a form of discipline. The next day, relatives noticed the bruises and called the police. Thomas allegedly admitted to spanking the boy but said if the bruises were not visible after 24 hours the police could do nothing. The bruises were allegedly still visible on July 19 when the boy was found hiding with his mother.

Prevention of apprehension/obstruction of prosecution is an aggravated misdemeanor.