Final candidate for VP position to speak today

The third of three finalists for the position of University of Iowa vice president for Strategic Communication will address the campus in a public forum from 2-3 p.m. today in 2520D University Capitol Center.

John Diamond, associate vice chancellor for university relations at the University of Arkansas, will speak about his goals and ideas that he would implement if chosen for the position.

In his current position, Diamond oversees the Arkansas’ strategic communications, marketing, and brand management. Additionally, he serves on the chancellor’s administrative policy council, is a partner and collaborator with the associate vice chancellors for alumni affairs and development, and is the university’s chief spokesman on policy matters and sensitive, high-profile issues, according to a UI news release.

Diamond has also held positions as the executive director of external affairs for the University of Maine system in Bangor, the director of public affairs at the University of Maine-Orono, and as an assistant professor of journalism and mass communication at the University of Maine.

The other two candidates, Jeff Iseminger, interim vice president for university advancement and marketing at Minnesota State University-Mankato, and Joseph Brennan, associate vice president for university communications at SUNY-Buffalo, participated in public forums on July 11 and July 15, respectively.

During Iseminger’s July 11 visit, he stressed the importance of the UI’s self-branding efforts, saying that the university could learn from Apple.  When Brennan visited on July 15, he noted the necessity of having a strong digital presence and preparedness efforts.

The candidate chosen for the position of vice president for Strategic Communication will report directly to UI President Sally Mason and will serve as the “chief communication officer responsible for conveying, internally and externally, the university’s mission, vision, and values,” according to the job description. The position will also oversee university-related communication and marketing, Hancher, and the UI Alumni Association.

The chosen candidate will replace Tysen Kendig, who left the position for a similar role at the University of Connecticut in December 2012.

Tom Rocklin, the UI vice president for Student Life and a co-head of the position’s search committee, said a decision on the position should be expected in the near future.

“While there is no specific timeline, the president will be moving quickly to choose a new vice president,” he wrote in an email.  “It seems reasonable to expect an announcement in the next several weeks.”