Lady Hawks finding bigger roles

Lisa Bluder’s squad will have a few gaping voids to fill for the upcoming 2013-14 season. The Hawkeyes’ two leading scorers and leading rebounder from a year ago in Jaime Printy and Morgan Johnson have graduated.

But if the Game Time league action so far is any indication of how those spots will be filled, neither Bluder nor fans of the Black and Gold should be worried.

Numerous players have stepped up during the summer months and made increased contributions. Headlining this group is Sam Logic, whose team plays Theairra Taylor’s squad at 6 p.m. today in the North Liberty Community Center.

Logic has displayed a complete game this summer that can potentially produce a triple-double whenever she steps on the floor. She’s posted averages of 30 points and 7.5 assists per game in league play so far.

The assists are something expected from the Hawkeyes’ holder of the school’s single-season assist record. But her 10.5 rebounds per game have impressed her teammates.

“She’s such an incredible rebounder,” said Iowa’s Melissa Dixon after her matchup with Logic. “Even when you think you have her boxed out, she somehow gets the ball.”

It’s not as if Logic stands above the competition, either. The junior guard from Racine, Wis., measures a modest 5-9, making her rebounding even more impressive.

Logic involves everyone and seems to instantly mesh with her teammates — newcomers included, such as freshman Alexa Kastanek, who previously lined up against Logic during an AAU game in high school.

“My coach asked me, ‘Can you handle her?’ ” Kastanek said. “And even if I couldn’t, I said yes, because I knew that she was the competition that I needed to be playing against.”

Logic’s opponent for tonight’s game, Taylor, is another Hawkeye who has made strides since the offseason began. Taylor is coming off a season in which she was named the team’s most improved player, and she continues to work on all facets of her game.

Taylor has showcased that improvement with a complete game during the summer league — one similar to Logic’s. The Hawkeye’s lone senior averages 22.5 points, 8 boards, and 7.5 assists per game.

She has led her team to a 2-0 record. A win this week would set up an undefeated matchup between her team and Dixon’s squad in the regular season finale.

Not just the veteran Hawkeyes are filling needed roles. Freshman Ally Disterhoft has shown she is capable of contributing. Disterhoft’s and Bethany Doolittle’s team will take on Morgan Johnson’s and Kali Peschel’s team in today’s matchup at 7:30 pm.

While Doolittle anchors her team inside, Disterhoft’s play at the guard has opened eyes. She has fit in well on her way to scoring 18 points and pulling down 6 rebounds per game.

“I’m looking to improve all aspects of my game,” she said. “When you get to college, there’s so many different areas that they can help you with, whether that’s on the court or in the classroom. I’m really just looking forward to getting better on the basketball court.”

Disterhoft’s and Doolittle’s team stands at 1-2, but a win is essential if they want a higher seed for the Game Time playoffs in two weeks.

Johnson’s team is still looking for its first win. The players need to find it soon if they wish to compete in the postseason — Game Time only accepts the top four teams.