Cambus collides with another vehicle, no injuries reported

A collision involving a Cambus occurred Monday evening at the intersection of Dubuque and Jefferson Streets.

The Cambus turning south on Dubuque from Jefferson collided with a vehicle heading north on Dubuque at approximately 7:57 p.m.

Police said no one was injured and there will likely be no charges made.

Though police classified the incident as minor, it is the third time that a University of Iowa bus has been involved in an accident in the last two years.

The first occurred in September 2011, when UI student Rebecca Segriff was hit while crossing the intersection of Madison and Washington Streets. She sustained significant injuries, according to officials at the scene.

The University of Iowa Nursing student is now suing the University, the state of Iowa and the Cambus operator, Peter Leahy, who was involved with the accident.

Segriff claimed in the lawsuit that the driver failed to keep a proper lookout, the failure to keep the bus under control and the failure to yield to the pedestrian’s right of way. Segriff also claimed the Leahy was driving with excessive speed.

Segriff is seeking compensation for disfigurement, medical services and physical and emotional pain and suffering.

With a date still to be determined, she is requesting a trial by jury.

The second incident occurred in May 2013 when a 66-year-old man was struck on the corner of Clinton and Jefferson. The accident happened when Audrey Kelly, the Cambus driver at the time, failed to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk on Clinton from Jefferson. The man was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.