Metropolitan Planning Organization to discuss area transportation projects

Discussion on changes to Johnson County’s transportation network could result in approval next week.

The Metropolitan Planning Organization of Johnson County will consider amendment approvals to the Long Range Transportation Plan as recommended by the Transportation Technical Advisory Committee during a meeting July 10 in the North Liberty City Council Chamber, 1 Quail Creek Circle.

The group, composed of officials from Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty, Tiffin, University Heights, the University of Iowa, Johnson County, and the Iowa City School District, will consider amendment approvals to four major transportation projects.

The Burlington Street Median Project may be approved to encompass Gilbert Street to Riverside Drive as a part of the 2012-20 Road Projects list.

The Dubuque Street/I-80 Pedestrian Bridge project is to see revised secured funding from $547,398 to around $1.79 million.

The seventh phase of the Coralville’s Clear Creek Trail is to be added to the 2012-20 Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects list. It is to receive $621,578 in funding.

The Clear Creek Trail in the town limits of Tiffin is also to be added to the 2012-20 Bicycle and Pedestrians List, receiving $148,922 in funding.

In addition to the amendment approval for the four projects, a public hearing and consideration of resolutions of adoption and certification for the fiscal 2014 Transportation Improvement Program will also take place.

Finally, North Liberty staff will present reports on a number of large community projects in the town limits.