Jacoby selected as top Democrat for House Appropriations Committee

A local political figure will soon be responsible for overseeing Iowa’s budget.

Rep. Dave Jacoby, D-Coralville, will be the top Democrat on the Iowa House Appropriations Committee for the 2014 legislative session, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, D-Des Moines, announced in a June 18 press release.

Jacoby, a graduate of the University of Northern Iowa, served on the Coralville City Council from 1997 to 2003, and he is now serving his fifth term in the Legislature.

“Rep. Jacoby is a veteran of the Iowa House who understands the impact the state budget has on building a strong middle class,” McCarthy said in the release.

As the ranking Democrat on the committee, Jacoby will help guide the state’s budget through nine separate budget subcommittees, the release said.

Jacoby, who is a member of the Iowa City Chamber of Commerce, Carpenter’s 1260, the Victory Riders Association, and St. Thomas More Catholic Church, said, “Right now, the state’s strong budget and $1 billion surplus put us in a good position for next session. We’re going to keep focused on growing Iowa’s middle class with good jobs, worker training, affordable health care, and a world-class education from preschool through college.”

Jacoby will replace Rep. Tyler Olson, D-Cedar Rapids, who vacated the spot while exploring a run for governor, the release said. The 2014 session will start Jan. 14.