Game Time League opens tonight

Tonight marks the beginning of the Game Time League regular season, and the North Liberty Community Center will host two league games. McCurry’s/ Pelling will face Vinton Merchants/Culvers team at 6 p.m. in the first of two league games. The following contest will be played at 7:30 p.m., when Cullen /Greater Iowa takes on Joensy’s.

Perhaps the most intriguing team in the league is Joensy’s — more specifically, how head coach Brian Joens might utilize his talented roster. Joens drafted star point guard Sam Logic and incoming freshman point guard Alexa Kastanek in the first two rounds of Sunday’s Game Time draft.

Logic is one of the premier players in the Big Ten at her position. Kastanek is talented wing player who is capable of playing all three perimeter positions. She’ll likely see more minutes at the No. 2 and 3 positions while playing alongside Logic this summer.

“[Iowa doesn’t] have too many point guards next year with Kathryn Reynolds being hurt,” Game Time Commissioner Randy Larson said. “Sam’s really the only natural point guard on the roster, and she’s going to play every minute that she can play.”

Logic, an integral part of Iowa’s postseason run during the most recent season, was an honorable mention All-Big Ten performer who averaged 9.4 points and 6.4 assists per game. The Black and Gold star was the first overall pick in the 2012 Game Time draft, and she’ll be one of the featured athletes playing in North Liberty this summer.

Iowa’s decorated point guard isn’t worried about there being an adjustment period when playing alongside Kastanek. She’s more eager help the talented young player adapt to Iowa’s system.

“We’re going to have to mesh as teammates, but I’ll probably help her on some things,” Logic said. “She plays more of the 2-3. It’s just a matter of knowing the offense, from every position, and knowing the defense. It’s about knowing where you’re supposed to be at all times.”

Kastanek orally committed to the Iowa women’s basketball program on Dec. 15, 2011, during her junior year in high school. The Lincoln, Neb., native was a nationally coveted prep player. The 5-9 guard led her team to a state title in her senior season, averaging 15.6 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.2 steals, and 2.8 assists per game.

Kastanek possesses good size for a guard, and she’s a capable ball handler with a nice shooting touch. She and Logic will form the most dynamic backcourt in the Game Time League. The incoming freshman has an opportunity to play alongside and learn from one of the best guards in the Big Ten, which should improve her development as she prepares for the college level.

“I don’t see her and Sam being on the same team as a problem,” Iowa associate women’s basketball coach Jan Jensen said. “Alexa can play the 1 through 3, and she’s comfortable playing any of those positions. I think she’s going to get better playing with Sam Logic by watching, by being on the same team, and seeing how hard Sam pushes.

“It should be interesting to see how these two complement each other. I feel like it’s a win-win.”