Iowa City man charged with criminal mischief and burglary

An Iowa City man has been charged after allegedly breaking into an East Court Street apartment complex.

Charles Wilson Jr., 23, was charged June 7 with second-degree criminal mischief, second-degree burglary, and third-degree burglary.

According to Iowa City police complaints, Wilson entered the building at 1:35 a.m. and was recorded on surveillance video allegedly damaging mailboxes in the front lobby, opening numerous pieces of mail, and putting money from one envelope into his wallet. The damage to the mailboxes is estimated to be $6,000, according to the complaint.

Wilson also attempted to open numerous doors, entered one apartment,and stole money and a pair of pants, according to the complaint. The resident was sleeping in the apartment at the time. Wilson took car keys from the apartment, went to the parking garage, and allegedly took money from the resident’s car, according to the complaint.

Wilson was identified by a police officer he had contact with around 2:57 a.m., according to the complaint, and he matched the description from the surveillance video and was wearing the same clothes.

Second-degree criminal mischief is a Class-D felony, second-degree burglary is a Class-C felony, and third-degree burglary is a aggravated misdemeanor.