Search for new UI vice president continues

The University of Iowa’s search for a new vice president for Strategic Communication continues, but one UI spokesman said the announcement date and the expected arrival of potential finalists remains unknown.

The search-committee process for the unknown number of finalists is underway, UI spokesman Tom Moore said. And although the salary of the new vice president remains unknown, he said it will be used in determining factors such as experience, salary history, and the prevailing market for similar positions.

“There is no hard and fast date,” he said. “The goal is to have a new vice president in place by the time fall classes start. “

The vice president reports directly to UI President Sally Mason and serves as the “chief communication officer responsible for conveying, internally and externally, the university’s mission, vision, and values,” according to the job description. Additionally, the position has oversight for university-related communication and marketing, Hancher Auditorium, and the UI Alumni Association. Tysen Kendig left the UI post in December after accepting a similar role at the University of Connecticut. He started his position at the UI in February 2010 and oversaw the Office of University Relations, the Center for Media Production, UI Television, the UI Alumni Association, and Hancher. According to state Board of Regents records, Kendig earned an annual salary of $200,000. Moore said Mark Braun, Mason’s chief of staff, is serving in the vice president role on an interim basis and will return to his original role when a new candidate is chosen.

Braun could not be reached for comment as of Wednesday evening.