Colorado natives Jet Edison to play Yacht Club

Through the action and reaction from band member to audience, a musical connection is made.

With a new album set to release in late July, the band members have some new tricks up their sleeve for Saturday’s performance. For the more recent tunes, the group finds a balanced mixture of inspiration, spontaneity, and structure when composing songs. A communal ownership of each song allows for the influence from each band member to have his say in the creative process.

"Once someone has the words written for a song, we use that as a foundation," said drummer/vocalist Alex Johnson. "He brings it to the table, and we build upon that by adding or taking away parts. It’s like building a house."

Nominated as Colorado’s Best Rock Band in the Jam/Improv category for the third year in a row, the band continues to gain momentum with its music and also popularity across the nation. While Boulder is the group’s hometown venue, the energy at each show never falters. 

"Music is everywhere, and being able to create that and share it with people is amazing," Johnson said. "We have the ability to create music from nothing with hopes that the audience receives it well and enjoys the performance."

Not only will this weekend’s performance have edgier, more funkadelic beats. It will also show off some new improvisation techniques.

Johnson said the improvisation component is somewhat structured. Branching off from one of the band’s original songs, the improvisation balances out the show. Flowing from an original song to a unique version of its counterpart, this unique musical component keeps the performance fresh.

"It’s definitely something we had to learn and work on to get better at," Johnson said. "We have known each other since our early college years and have lived together. It’s definitely like a brotherhood. I can tell what the other is thinking and predict his tendencies."

Never a repeat from a previous show, this band is founded upon creativity and uniqueness in its style of performance and music.

>>Be sure to check out Jet Edison’s most recent album as well as upcoming tour dates.