Man repeatedly slams door on officer’s foot

A local man has been accused of repeatedly slamming a door on a police officer’s foot.

Vincent Mangiameli, 22, was charged Monday with interference with official acts causing bodily injury and assault on a peace officer with intent to injure.

Iowa City police officers responded to a report of a noise complaint. Mangiameli answered the door and a conversation occurred between him and the officers, the Iowa City police complaint said.

According to the complaint, Mangiameli attempted to shut the door, but an officer placed his foot in the door to prevent it from closing. Mangiameli allegedly responded by attempting to shut the door harder.

Mangiameli repeatedly slammed the door on the officer’s foot, while officers tried to push him back, the complaint said. Mangiameli was eventually able to shut the door.

The officer needed to be transported by ambulance because of injuries. Backup officers then took Mangiameli into custody.

According to the complaint, Mangiameli initially denied any knowledge of the incident but later admitted to locking the door and said somebody else had slammed it. Mangiameli finally told officials that the door had been shut and locked in one motion.

Mangiameli insinuated that the officer’s injury was completely fabricated, the complaint said. Mangiameli also told officials that he had been drinking and was drunk.

Interference with official acts causing bodily injury is an aggravated misdemeanor. Assault on a peace officer with intent to injure to is an aggravated misdemeanor.