UI student accused of downtown stabbing now being held in Johnson County Jail

A University of Iowa student accused of stabbing two males after a verbal exchange last weekend is now being held in the Johnson County Jail.

Gabriel Badding, 18, was charged April 28 with willful injury causing serious injury and willful injury.

Badding was being held in the McDonough County Jail in Illinois on a $100,000 bond on Sunday evening. Badding is now in custody at the Johnson County Jail on a $100,000 bond.

Badding was involved in a verbal exchange with a man. Badding suddenly allegedly attacked the man with a knife and stabbed him several times causing serious injuries, the Iowa City police complaint said.

Two of the victim’s injuries were in the man’s torso near vital organs. Badding then stabbed the victim’s friend who tried to intervene, the complaint said. The friend sustained a deep stab wound to his tricep area.

Badding ran away from the area, but after a Hawk Alert was released, several people called authorities giving Badding’s name, the complaint said.

According to the complaint, Badding’s vehicle was located at Western Illinois University several hours later. University police there assisted in the investigation. Police located Badding’s vehicle and found Badding in his girlfriend’s dorm.

The Western Illinois police obtained consent to search Badding’s vehicle and reportedly found evidence relevant to the investigation.

Willful injury causing serious injury is a Class-C felony. Willful injury is a Class-D felony.