Phil’s Day 2013: It’s all about you

Phil — it’s all about you. Let’s consider how Phil (short for “philanthropy”) affects your life on the University of Iowa campus.

Hawkeye athletics features both men’s and women’s Big Ten competitions in seven core sports, plus three additional sports for women and three others for men. Our Hawkeyes rely on Phil not only for state-of-the-art sports venues and scholarships to recruit top talent, but also for myriad recreational facilities and intramural athletics. Phil is all about sports and fitness.

The deans of the UI’s 12 colleges and academic units depend on Phil to improve curriculum, support new programs, and provide the cutting-edge research necessary to attract and retain outstanding students and faculty. Phil also helps students afford their Iowa education. Nearly 80 percent of UI students receive some form of financial aid — including grants, scholarships, loans, and student employment — and that makes a real difference in their lives. Finally, the UI just introduced a pioneering undergraduate program focused on philanthropic studies. Phil is all about quality academics.

Phil makes it possible for international students to attend the UI, improving diversity and providing exciting opportunities for all students to explore our cultural similarities and differences. Phil also provides Iowa students with the chance for international studies and supports life-changing humanitarian travel that sends UI students to Romania to work with children with various disabilities and special needs. Phil is all about international experiences.

Phil supports the medical and dental services that the UI provides to the Iowa City community. Phil also helps maintain outstanding educational opportunities for our students and provides medical research of national and international acclaim. The construction of the new University of Iowa Children’s Hospital facility is an excellent example of how Phil will improve the lives of our region’s children. Phil is all about community service.

The rebuilding of the Iowa campus after the flood of 2008 continues, thanks to a major assist from Phil. The rebuilt facilities will help create one of the most beautiful “green” and modern campuses in the nation and will serve as a great source of pride for Iowans. Further, they will enhance the UI as a destination school for students from throughout the United States and the world. Phil is all about outstanding facilities.

As state funds continue to decline as a percentage of university spending, Phil, provided by countless UI alumni and friends, becomes more important than ever. Phil is all about the future.

Phil is also all about you. You depend on Phil, and Phil depends on you. Whether your Phil is dollars, Dance Marathon, Habitat for Humanity, or any number of other philanthropic activities, Phil is a lifelong pleasure that you will treasure. Make Phil personal, and Go Hawks.

Dale Baker (1968 B.B.A.) is a member of the UI Foundation Board of Directors, and Linda Baker (1968 B.A.) serves on the UI Alumni Association Board of Directors. The Bakers are longtime UI philanthropists.