Tough Big Ten season comes to a close for men’s tennis

Iowa’s men’s tennis team completed a challenging Big Ten season this past weekend. The Hawkeyes were defeated by Wisconsin and Minnesota, dropping their conference record to 0-12.

The Black and Gold almost pulled out a highly contested meet against Wisconsin on April 19 at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes started off strong by picking up a victory in doubles play. Doubles partners Joey White and Michael Swank jumped out to an early lead and never looked back as they won their match by a score of 8-5, and Juan Estenssoro and Jonas Dierckx out dueled their opponents in an 8-5 win.

The Badgers rallied in singles competition to gain a 2-1 advantage over the Hawkeyes. Iowa responded by tying the meet at 2-2 following Dierckx’s singles victory, leaving three matches to determine the outcome of the meet. Every remaining match was extended to a third set, but Wisconsin wound up winning all three, resulting in a 5-2 victory for the Cardinal and White.

Iowa then traveled to the Twin Cities to battle No. 32 Minnesota at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Golden Gophers wasted no time by establishing themselves as the superior team early on in the meet. Minnesota took two out of three doubles matches from the Hawkeyes and swept singles play on their way to a 7-0 victory.