Man allegedly pushes wife down while she held their 2-year-old son

A local man was accused of pushing his wife to the ground while she was holding their two-year-old son.

David Noriega, 29, was charged Sunday with child endangerment, domestic-abuse assault, interference with official acts, consumption/intoxication, prohibited acts of holding prescription drugs, and domestic assault impeding air/blood causing a bodily injury.

Iowa City police officials responded to a call of a physical confrontation between Noriega and the female victim. According to the police complaint, witnesses told police officials they saw Noriega strike a female and then push her to the ground while she was holding their 2-year-old son.

The female told police officials that during the altercation Noriega placed his hands around her throat and applied pressure, which caused scratches and bruises around her neck, the police complaint said.

According to the police complaint, officials said Noriega smelled strongly of alcohol, slurred his speech, and refused to follow simple directions. Noriega resisted handcuffing and had to be taken to the ground, the complaint said.

During a search, police officials located an unlabeled container on Noriega containing a pill.

Child endangerment is an aggravated misdemeanor, domestic-abuse assault is an aggravated misdemeanor, interference with official acts is a serious misdemeanor, consumption/intoxication is a serious misdemeanor, prohibited act of holding prescription drugs is a serious misdemeanor, and domestic assault impeding air/blood causing a bodily injury is a Class-D felony.