City Park access road project stalled

Iowa City will shelve plans for an access road after complaints from residents in the area.

The City Park Secondary Access Road project, which would have extended an access road across City Park to Normandy Drive, was scheduled for completion in the fiscal 2014 Capital Improvement Plan budget. However, after city staff held discussions with neighbors in the affected area, the project was postponed.

“Right now, I don’t see an urgent need for this to be done as we can still accommodate the concerns we had in the area in terms of safety, access, and traffic flow,” Michael Moran, the director of Parks and Recreation, said in an email to city manager Tom Markus.

Tom Novak, a resident of Parkview Terrace, said he was concerned about a road’s effect on traffic in the area.

“There are not many places in town where people can bike or Rollerblade, and that’s the nice thing about this neighborhood,” he said. “We have a lot of recreational traffic, and increasing the traffic flow of cars can be a safety hazard.”

Novak also worried about the effects of a road running through the park.

“This is a real gem of a park, and putting a road through it just isn’t the direction I’d like to see it go in,” he said.

Moran said he would like to postpone the project for at least one construction season and revisit it after the city had completed other projects in the area.