Postal service to continue Saturday mail until further notice

The U.S. Postal Service will no longer pursue cutting Saturday mail delivery following a decision by Congress.

According to a statement by the Board of Governors for the Postal Service, officials said they were disappointed with the decision but had no choice but to delay the newly proposed delivery schedule until additional measures are taken by the legislature.

Postal Service officials announced in February their plans to end Saturday mail delivery beginning in August as a way to save money. The plan would include package delivery Monday through Saturday, and mail delivery Monday through Friday.

“It is not possible for the Postal Service to meet significant cost reduction goals without changing its delivery schedule — any rational analysis of our current financial condition and business options leads to this conclusion,” the statement said. “Delaying responsible changes to the Postal Service business model only increases the potential that the Postal Service may become a burden to the American taxpayer, which is avoidable.”

Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, said the decision made by Congress is the right decision and is important for the Iowa economy.

“Saturday delivery is important to Iowa’s economy, seniors, and small businesses,” he said in a statement. “Now, it is time for Congress to do its job and act to give the USPS the tools necessary to avoid this situation in the future. I will continue to push for commonsense legislation that will responsibly restore USPS’s fiscal solvency while protecting Iowan’s access to postal services. ”

— by Jordyn Reiland