UISG parties to meet with officials after campaign sticker move

University of Iowa Student Government candidates will meet with UI administrators today following a controversial campaign move.

The Daily Iowan Editorial Board endorsed the HOUSE Party on the Opinions page in Tuesday’s issue.

The newspaper did not authorize the placement of any campaign stickers on its front page. But on Tuesday morning, TOGA Party stickers were placed on the middle of the front-page photo on dozens of newspapers around campus. Stickers were found on copies in the Adler Journalism Building, the English-Philosophy Building, the IMU, and some dorms.

Student Election Board Commissioner Peter Chalik declined to comment on any potential repercussions after speaking with UI administrators, saying they will discuss it today at a meeting.

He did say, however, that the voting period for the elections will proceed as scheduled.

TOGA presidential candidate Aaron Horsfield said he was aware of the possibility that stickers would be placed on newspapers but didn’t know for sure if they would. After reviewing the bylaws, Horsfield said, the party saw the stickers as an appropriate move and it gained publicity for both parties.

“The HOUSE Party moved forward with stickers after us,” he said. “They thought it seemed appropriate, and it got publicity for both of us. I guess both parties went against the DI’s rules.”

HOUSE stickers were also found on numerous issues of the DI, placed over TOGA stickers.

“This was foul play,” HOUSE presidential candidate Katherine Valde said. “The DI came out and endorsed us, and I think it was very strategic play.”

Valde said that although some HOUSE stickers appeared on front pages, party officials didn’t approve the move and weren’t sure who placed them there.

Valde said they handed out a few hundred stickers throughout the day for campaign purposes.

“We were appalled,” Valde said. “It’s stealing advertisements.”

The DI sells advertising space in a similar manner — an advertisement in the form of a sticker placed on the front page. Depending on the number of papers that get a sticker, the business or organization paying for the ad is charged anywhere from $320 to $910.

“None of my senators or campaign managers stuck those on,” said Jack Cumming, the vice-presidential candidate for HOUSE. “We were handing [the stickers] out to some of our supporters, as far as the stickers go.”

HOUSE can file a formal complaint with the Student Election Board. The complaint would then go to a merit hearing with both sides, and the board would make a decision. But Valde said they hadn’t and wouldn’t file a complaint against TOGA.

“It’s a timely process I’m not interested in,” Valde said. “I just wish the stickers hadn’t been put on the papers.”