UI student allegedly sexually assaulted at off-campus party

A female student reported she was sexually assaulted in the early hours of Sunday morning at an off-campus party in a private residence.

According to the release, Iowa City police are investigating the alleged incident. The suspect was described as a 6-foot tall, thin, light-skinned black male wearing a hat.

Because the incident occurred off-campus, the Iowa City police are handling the investigation.

“It depends on the jurisdictions; if it happens on campus or at university buildings, then we cover the investigation,” said Chuck Green, the assistant vice president for the University of Iowa police. “However, when it involves a student, we have the responsibilities of reporting the incident to students and faculty.”

According to the Iowa City police activity log, on Sunday, police officials filed an incident report of a sex/rape at 3:10 a.m. The log entry referred to an officer speaking with someone regarding a “sexual assault.” It is not confirmed whether this log entry is related to the reported incident.

This is the second sexual assault reported by a UI student during the 2012-13 school year.

On Sept. 6, 2012, a female student reported a sexual assault near the Biological Sciences Laboratory.

Karla Miller, the executive director of the Rape Victim Advocacy Program, said the agency has seen a 24 percent increase of total calls in the Johnson County area since the last fiscal quarter.