Downtown Bruegger’s set to open in July

Bruegger’s Bagels is set to open its doors in July, almost seven months after the original opening date.

The location, 225 Iowa Ave., was destroyed on Sept. 24, 2011, by a fire; nearby Takanami, Yacht Club, Studio 13, and AKAR Design were also damaged. The Van Patten House, 9 S. Linn St., was demolished in January.

Inclement weather and a change from Ohio-based Great Lakes Commercial Construction to Royal Seal Construction of Bartonville, Texas, were contributing factors moving the opening date from Jan. 9 to July.

Jackie Callman, the general manager at the Riverside Drive location, said the resulting influx of more customers to her store following the closure of the downtown location demonstrated the need for two Iowa City stores.

“It’ll have the same square footage; we’re just hoping the layout is a better flow for business,” she said. “It’s still pretty much going to be the same [structure].”

Officials with the Coralville Bruegger’s Bagels, 404 First Ave., said although they experienced an initial surge in business following the downtown closing; much of that business has been transferred to the Riverside Drive bakery.

Current plans call for the downtown bakery to be housed on the first floor, with three one-bedroom apartments filling in the second floor. One dedicated exterior point of access for the apartments and one shared entrance to the apartment stairs and the bakery are to be provided. Details including total cost, square footage, and apartment rent prices were not available as of Sunday evening.