UI Athletic Director Gary Barta comments on Ferentz future son-in-law hiring case

Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said on Tuesday the review of Tyler Barnes’ position will start this week and that the Athletics Department has handled the case “pretty well.”

“We’re going through the process; we’re just trying to move it along,” Barta told The Daily Iowan.

Barnes became engaged to head football coach Kirk Ferentz’s daughter six months into his job on the football team. Barnes has been working for the Athletics Department since January 2012. After the Gazette conducted an investigation regarding a potential conflict of interest, he was placed under a new supervisor temporarily last week.

Barta said the review started this week, and he was unsure of when it would end.

“It’s not an investigation,” he said. “We’re just reviewing his current position because of the change of his personal status.”

Although the situation is new to the UI, other universities have dealt with this issue in the past, Barta said.

“We have, over the years across the country and across the state, dealt with unique situations,” he said. “We have some of the best people available such as Terry Brands, Brian Ferentz, and Monica Mims, and they have all put a management plan in place.”

Barta said that while the UI has always been sensitive with cases of conflict of interest, Barnes’ situation is unique.

The way the UI handles employing family members and other people who may have a conflict of interest is by creating a management plan — stating whom the employee will work with and in what department. Barnes did not have a management plan previous to his engagement, and a temporary one was created for him.

Barta said the review of his employment will include creating a permanent plan for Barnes.

“We put something in place temporarily, and now we’re looking for something long-term,” he said.