Hawkeye men’s tennis looking to end three game skid

The Iowa men’s tennis team lost three meets to ranked opponents in the past 10 days, and its record plummeted to 6-4. The Hawkeyes have played well in spurts but have failed to put together the collective effort necessary for big wins.

The Hawkeyes have had some impressive individual wins during this stretch despite the losses. Jonas Dierckx won his singles match against Drake No. 2 singles player Robin Goodwin. Dominic Patrick took down the reigning Missouri Valley Player of the Week, Ben Lott.

Garret Dunn beat Cameron Ghorbani of  No. 51 Dartmouth on Sunday in straight sets. Matt Hagan beat Dartmouth’s No. 1 singles player after rallying from a 5-0 hole. Michael Swank and Dunn defeated the No. 51 doubles pair in the country in Drake’ James McKee and Anis Ghorbel.

But the doubles point, as a whole, has been tough to come by for Iowa — the squad hasn’t scored a doubles point in a meet since Feb 27.

Iowa has used this week off from competition to work on simulating match situations. The team has shown resiliency by not losing confidence, despite its three-meet skid.

Northwestern is the No. 18 team in the country and enter the March 10 match with a 13-4 record. Play will begin at noon at Northwestern’s Comb Tennis Center.