UISG grants nearly $470K for nine organizations

The University of Iowa Student Government granted nine organizations a total of $468,419 for the next fiscal year on Tuesday evening.

These organizations fall into a group called collaboratively funded organizations, which draw from the undergraduate and graduate student governments.

Groups such as Dance Marathon and Bijou were allocated funding, as was the community-based Johnson County Crisis Center.

The collaborative funding is recommended by the Joint Finance Committee, which comprises both undergraduate and graduate student government leaders.

Matthew Tarnoff, the co-head of the committee, said collaborative groups have to demonstrate a large student involvement and effect to qualify.

In December 2012, UISG renewed the status of eight such groups. Both Hawks Nest and Walk It Out applied for recognition but were denied. The only newly admitted group was the Indian Student Alliance.

“We’ve been around for 15 years, and we have 15 years of annual events that bring a lot of diversity to campus,” said Jostna Dash, the president of the Indian Student Alliance.

Traditionally, UISG funding unspent by student organizations is returned to UISG at the end of the fiscal year. In contrast, the collaborative organizations get to keep any money that isn’t expended.

“The status will help us with our longevity; we get to keep our money to help save up for future generations,” Dash said.

SCOPE was approved for $164,000, the largest approved allocation.

“We collaborate with the Hawks Nest to put on Hawkapalooza every year, as well as Homecoming productions,” said SCOPE assistant general manager Emily Kane. 

SCOPE has brought artists such as T-Pain and All Time Low to Iowa in recent years.

“Besides our free concerts we provide to the students, we are run much like a business,” Kane said.

The size of the UISG approved budget for SCOPE is pretty standard this year, Kane said.

The total collaborative-organization budget is recommended by the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, and is typically an average of the last three fiscal-year budgets.

Funding has increased 2 percent for each collaborative group, said Tarnoff, who’s been with the Student Assembly Budgeting and Allocating Committee for two years.

Other groups with the status are Homecoming Council, Student Video Productions, Rape Victim Advocacy Program, and KRUI.

The group’s newest member hopes that it will fall into place with the rest of them.

“We have six major events every year,” said Indian Student Alliance social head Arti Bhakta. “They bring out hundreds of students and community members.”

One of the largest events that the group puts on, called Nachte Raho, is set to take place March 2. 

This cultural dance competition will feature teams from universities around the nation.

“These events are for the community,” Bhakta said. “We want to show our culture, dancing, and food.”