Colorado-based Jet Edison to perform at Yacht Club

Rock, jazz, bluegrass — this band has a little bit of everything when it comes to musical content.

Hailing from Boulder, Colo., Jet Edison is a uniquely mixed band scheduled to stop in Iowa City at 10 p.m. Friday.

The Yacht Club, 13. S. Linn St., will host the four-member closely knit group, which has started turning heads and gaining fans across the country with each new tour and show. Tickets are $6 at the door.

The band consists of Phil Johnson on keyboards and vocals, Max Kabat on guitar and vocals, Adam Mason on bass guitar and vocals, and Alex Johnson on drums and vocals.

The four formed the rock-fusion group five years ago during their freshman year at the University of Colorado, and they have continued to play together ever since.

The guys’ first album, Adopt a Highway, came out in 2010, and they hope to have a second album this summer. 

The group received its first nomination for Best Rock Band in Colorado in the Jam/Improv category by Denver’s Westword Magazine.

Alex Johnson said the upcoming album will be a snapshot of more finely tuned sounds compared with the jazzy, mixed-rock music on the first album. With the new album coming out, the band has gained some popularity.

“There is a little something for everyone,” Alex Johnson said. “We always play different shows and discover new things. It gives us a chance to keep evolving with more fun and new music. Nothing is ever done.”