Euforquestra to host annual benefit show

The band members of Euforquestra travel all over the country, but they keep Iowa City close to their hearts.

The guys will return home for their annual benefit show, Home for the Holidays III Benefit, at 8 p.m. Dec. 22 at Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington St.

“People should come support Home for the Holidays III because it is a chance to take part in a great night of music while also doing some good for the community,” said Mike Tallman, the Euforquestra guitarist.

Euforquestra’s Home for the Holidays concerts have raised more than $6,000 and 600 pounds of food in Des Moines and Iowa City.

The funk-fusion event will include a canned food drive of nonperishable items only and a silent auction. Donations from community members will be directed toward the Crisis Center of Johnson County and other food banks in Polk and Johnson Counties.

The silent auction will also be different from previous years. Audience members will be eligible to win concert/festival tickets, gift certificates, art, clothing, and jewelry. For the second year in a row, SCI Fidelity Records (String Cheese Incident record label) has donated a music package with signed CDs from the String Cheese Incident, Keller Williams, Umphrey’s McGee, and others.

Additionally, the drinks sold will generate donations toward a cause — for each New Belgium beer sold New Belgium will donate $1.

Two bands will join the benefit this year: local groups Fire Sale and Chasing Shade.

For the third year, Euforquestra members hope this event will bring a crowd of old and new faces to support a cause close to their hearts.

“The more we help food banks and other charity organizations, the more they can help those in need in the community,” Tallman said.