Man facing four convictions

A local man faces a slew of charges, including false imprisonment and domestic abuse following a Monday dispute.

According to several Iowa City police complaints, Christopher Wright, 33, was charged with first-degree harassment, domestic abuse, false imprisonment, and carrying weapons.

Initial disputes broke out after Wright arrived at his girlfriend’s apartment when she wasn’t there. When she arrived, a verbal altercation occurred that reportedly eventually turned physical.

Wright allegedly knocked her to the ground and began choking her with both hands, saying he would kill her, then punched her in the right eye, the complaint said.

When the woman was able to get up, he began choking her with his left forearm. Upon freeing herself, she went into the bathroom to treat her wounds.

Refusing her to leave the apartment, Wright allegedly shut her into the bathroom for more than an hour, the complaint said.

When he did finally let her leave the bathroom, the woman tried to leave the apartment in order to get help.

Wright reportedly stopped her, pulling her back into the apartment. The woman was unable to call for help for approximately three hours.

Around four hours later, Wright was seen walking toward the door to leave the First Avenue Hy-Vee with groceries in hand. When officers arrived, he went back inside the grocery store.

After officers arrived in the store, he was arrested.

Upon an officer search, five knives were uncovered in his backpack. Wright claimed that he had the knives so he could throw them away, the complaint said.

Wright has a previous conviction for domestic assault from Cook County, Ill., in October 2009.

Domestic abuse assault with intent and first-degree harassment are both aggravated misdemeanors, each punishable up to two years in prison with a maximum fine of $6,250.

Carrying weapons and false imprisonment are serious misdemeanors, each punishable up to one year in prison with a maximum fine of $1,875.

— by Quentin Misiag