Muscatine man charged with stealing vehicle

A Muscatine man has been accused of operating a stolen vehicle while intoxicated for the third time over the course of four years.

According to two Iowa City police complaints, Estevan Rocha, 25, 114 Canon Ave., was charged Dec. 1 with second-degree theft and a third-offense OWI.

Rocha was reportedly stopped for traveling on the wrong side of the street at the intersection of Gilbert and Washington Streets on Dec. 1. Upon being pulled over, officers reported smelling a strong odor of ingested alcohol and observing red-watery eyes. Upon being placed under arrest for his third OWI, Rocha confessed that the car he was driving at the time was stolen and from Davenport.

After being given his Miranda rights, he said he stole the car in Davenport because he was “stuck” and did not have a way home, the complaint said.

Rocha said he found the car with the keys in the ignition, so he took it. He intended to turn himself in the next, but he wanted to see family and friends before doing so. Rocha was the only occupant of the vehicle.

Second-degree theft valued at less than $1,000 is a Class-D felony punishable up to five years in prison with a maximum fine of $7,500.

Third-offense OWI is a Class-D felony punishable up to five years in prison with a maximum fine of $9,375.

— by Quentin Misiag