Join Hawkeye Caucus’s efforts

Since its inception in 1847, the University of Iowa has been the state’s top public institution and consistently one of the nation’s best. Currently, the UI is ranked as the 28th best public university in the nation, 72nd overall. The university’s undergraduate and graduate programs, alike, boast some of the most impressive statistics in all of higher education.

The university has made great contributions to the state in medicine, dentistry, education, and law. One hundred percent of Iowa counties have UI-trained nurses, teachers, and lawyers.

It is imperative for the success of our university that members of our community come together and speak with our legislators, continually thanking them for current and future support of our institution. By joining the Hawkeye Caucus, you have the opportunity to truly make a difference and have your voice heard loudly in Des Moines and Washington, D.C.

The Hawkeye Caucus is a student-run advocacy group that encourages students to get involved and understand how their education is influenced at the state and federal levels. The Hawkeye Caucus engages with both state and federal legislators through activities both off and on campus including: email campaign blitzes to state legislators, hosting legislators on campus, as well as visiting Des Moines and Washington, D.C. We are asking state legislators to support an in-state tuition freeze for undergraduate students and a minimal tuition rise for out-of-state students because we believe a valuable public education should continue to be affordable.  

All students and majors are invited to get involved with the Hawkeye Caucus, as we are an organization that is dedicated to the students. As students, we can affect our future by simply speaking with our local legislators, or as they call it in Des Moines and Washington, D.C., "lobbying."

We are looking for students to participate in our own advocacy training session on campus next week with Rep. Mary Mascher, D-Iowa City.

Hawkeye Caucus provides an opportunity for us to have our voices heard in Des Moines so that those who represent us know that they’re advocating for our futures.

Andrew Bates and Tim Krueger