Iowa City police arrest residential burglar

A transient man was arrested Thursday morning after Iowa City police broke up an attempted burglary.

Robert Denail Jones, 36, address unknown, is the suspect identified in an attempted burglary. Jones was charged with first-degree burglary, assault causing serious injury while committing a felony, and possession of burglar’s tools.

Iowa City police responded to a fit at 605 Westgate St. at 10:03 a.m. According to a city press release, officer learned the fight was actually prompted by an attempted burglary. Jones was one the ground, restrained by several males when officers arrived, the release said.

The resident of the home had noticed the back door to his garage was open upon arriving home.

When the homeowner entered his house Jones was allegedly standing in his kitchen, the release said.

He attempted to flee the home but the resident grabbed him and kept him while waiting for police to arrive. Their fight ended up in the garage, and that point neighbors had noticed and stepped in to help subdue the burglar until officers arrived, the release.

According to the press release, the homeowner was transported by ambulance to Mercy Hospital for a non-life threatening facial injury. Jones was transported by ambulance to the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics for a health evaluation, the release said.

Jones was charged with first-degree burglary, a Class-C felony; assault causing serious injury while committing a felony, a Class-C felony; and possession of burglar’s tools, an aggravated misdemeanor.

– by Kristen East