City unveils five finalists for redevelopment at College-Gilbert lot

City officials announced the five finalist proposals for the redevelopment of the northeast corner of College and Gilbert Streets.

The city will host public presentations of the five proposals during an Iowa City City Council work session on Nov. 26 at 5 p.m. in City Hall. The public is invited to attend, but there will be no public input during the presentations, according to a city press release.

City officials could decide on a preferred developer and development concept as soon as the Dec. 18 meeting.

The five finalists include 4 Zero 4, the Chauncey, Chauncey Gardens, Ryan Companies/Iceberg Development, and Sherman Associates.

4 Zero 4, represented by Tim Dwight and Jake Christensen, proposes an eight-story building that would include the Bike Library and the New Pioneer Co-op on the first floor, with two floors of office space and five floors of efficiencies and one- and two-bedroom apartments.

The Chauncey, represented by Steve Rohrbach, proposes a 20-story building that would include a bowling alley, café, and two movie theaters operated by FilmScene on the first floor.

Chauncey Gardens, represented by Jesse Allen, proposes a 15-story building with a grocery on the first and second floors.

Ryan Companies/Iceberg Development, represented by Marc Gullickson and Jim Berg, proposes a five-story building with the New Pioneer Co-op on the first floor and four floors of studio apartments and one- and two-bedroom condos.

Sherman Associates, represented by George Sherman and Jackie Nickolaus, proposes a 13-story building that includes the New Pioneer Co-op on the first floor, 11 floors of housing rental units, and floor of offices.

—By Kristen East