Regents approve $1.8 million property purchase for future Iowa River Landing Clinic expansion

The state Board of Regents on Oct. 25 approved spending $1.8 million to buy three pieces of land in the Iowa River Landing District in Coralville for the possibility of expanding the clinic.

Along with the $1.8 million, the regents approved relocation costs for the tenants who needed to be relocated.  Those costs would not exceed $475,000, University of Iowa spokesman Tom Moore said.

The land is used for industrial commercial uses along with commercial tenants. The leases all expire in less than one year or are month-to-month leases, Moore said.

While the regents purchased the land, there are no specific plans at the time.

The UI Hospitals and Clinics could possibly use the space for an additional clinic, but no plans have been determined, Moore said.

The UIHC had looked at buying land adjacent to the current clinic, but because of the high cost, the UIHC settled for property near the existing clinic.

Doug True, the senior vice president and treasurer, said the potential new clinic on the land would be connected to the current clinic by a tunnel under East Ninth Street — making the plot a desirable purchase, giving the land the accessibility to the clinic that an adjacent lot would provide without the cost.

Regent Robert Downer supported the vote — as did every regent — and said the possibility of a new clinic would depend on the success of the recently opened one.  

“I would anticipate it would be a few years, depending on how everything goes at the clinic,” he said.  “It’s felt that it is going to be quite successful.”

The Iowa River Landing Clinic opened Oct. 5 to move patient congestion out of the main UIHC and to provide specialized care.

The $73 million clinic anticipates seeing 300,000 patients a year once it becomes fully operational with a staff of 200.