Man charged with interference with official acts causing injury

An Iowa City man has been accused of interfering with official acts and assault causing injury to Iowa City police officers.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, Robert McClendon, 39, 924 Hudson Ave., was charged Oct. 25 with interference with official acts causing injury and assault to a peace officer causing injury.

McClendon allegedly told officers his name was “Craig” when he answered the door of his home. After the officers concluded that the man was lying, they attempted to enter the residence, the complaint said.

After initial struggle, officers were able to enter before being pushed by McClendon. He then allegedly ran from the officers and had to be Tasered before being arrested. The altercations resulted in one officer suffering lacerations on his knee as well as bruising, the complaint said.

Assault causing injury to a peace officer and interference with official acts are both aggravated misdemeanors.

Assault causing injury to a peace officer is a Class D felony punishable up to five years in prison and a maximum fine of $7,500. Interference with official acts with bodily injury is an aggravated misdemeanor punishable up to two years in prison and a maximum fine of $6,250.

— by Quentin Misiag