Local woman faces multiple charges following deposited forged checks

An Iowa City woman faces numerous charges after allegedly depositing forged checks and withdrawing money in December 2011. She also was allegedly involved in an altercation at her residence Oct. 16.

According to a series of Iowa City police complaints, Ciera Greene, 20, 1100 Arthur St. Apt. M6, opened a bank account with Hills Bank and Trust, 201 S. Clinton St., in July 2011. The complaints said she deposited two fictitious checks into the account, one for $1,348.76 in 2011 and one for $1,798.76 on Jan. 3, 2012.

Greene allegedly made withdrawals from the account after each of the two deposits. The complaints said she was captured on ATM video surveillance making one of the deposits.

Greene was charged with second-degree theft and forgery, both Class-D felonies, on Oct. 9.

Dawson and Greene were allegedly involved in a physical altercation in the second-floor walkway of the building. The fight lasted for approximately 10 minutes, the complaints said. Both Dawson and Greene allegedly had visible injuries on their faces as a result of the fight, which did not initially involve weapons, according to the complaints.

Witnesses said the confrontation escalated, according to the complaint, when Dawson and Greene both allegedly obtained kitchen knives from their apartments. Greene claimed she retrieved a fork instead of a knife from her apartment, the complaints said. Dawson allegedly admitted to grabbing a knife and approaching Greene.

Greene was charged Oct. 16 with going armed with a knife with a blade between 5 and 8 inches long, a serious misdemeanor. Dawson is charged with going armed with intent, a Class-D felony.

— by Matt Starns