Iowa City man faces multiple charges following police stop

An Iowa City man faces numerous charges after a traffic stop at 1900 Keokuk St. early in the morning of Oct. 6.

According to a series of Iowa City police complaints, Thomas Anderson, 25, 153 S. Scott Blvd., was charged after officers were dispatched to the area of South Gilbert Street and Sand Road after receiving a report of a subject with a gun. The complaints said officers located the suspected vehicle at South Gilbert and Highway 6 East, where they initiated a traffic stop and had Anderson exit the vehicle.

The complaints said officers were able to see a handgun, located under the passenger seat, in plain sight through the rear passenger-side window. Anderson also told officers where the gun was located, according to the complaints. Officers retrieved the gun, which had a full magazine and a round chambered, according to the complaint.

During a search of the vehicle, officers located a box of ammunition in the trunk and a tray of ammunition within reach of the driver in the front passenger seat. Anderson also allegedly had a full magazine in his pocket.

Upon further search, the complaints said the officers also located a small baggie of a green, leafy substance consistent with marijuana in the center console of the vehicle. There was also allegedly a pipe containing burnt marijuana, the complaints said.

Anderson allegedly exhibited red, bloodshot, watery eyes and a strong odor of ingested alcohol, as well as thick-tongued speech. The complaint said he consented to a breath test with a result of 0.176.

Anderson is charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, a simple misdemeanor, OWI, and possession of a controlled substance, both serious misdemeanors, and carrying weapons, an aggravated misdemeanor.