Iowa City man charged with theft of iPad, Blackberry from vehicle

An Iowa City man was charged Oct. 4 after officers allegedly found him in possession of stolen property on the Pedestrian Mall.

A series of Iowa City police complaints said officers responded to 327 E. College St. after receiving a report of a subject prying his way into a building. Upon arrival, the officers found Ernest Brewster, 53, 1121 Gilbert Court, walking out of the parking garage of the building. He was given a breath test with a result over 0.10, according to the complaints. Brewster allegedly said he was “trying to stay warm.”

The complaints said Brewster was warned by officers not to go to the Pedestrian Mall because of his intoxication. The officers sent him on the way, according to the complaints.

Approximately five minutes later, Brewster was observed on the Ped Mall talking to a subject, the complaints said. Brewster was placed under arrest, and, during a search, was allegedly found in possession of a stolen BlackBerry phone, an iPad, and iPod, and several knives, according to the complaint.

After being advised of his rights, Brewster allegedly advised officers that the iPod was his, but that he had found the BlackBerry and iPad in a dumpster. The complaints said the Blackbery and iPad had been reported as stolen from vehicles a week earlier.

Brewster is charged with third-degree theft, an aggravated misdemeanor, fourth-degree theft, a serious misdemeanor, and habitual public intoxication, a simple misdemeanor.