UI Career Center expands services

The University of Iowa Pomerantz Career Center has updated its services this year to reach more students — at a low cost to students.

New features have been added to the Hireahawk website, a new webinar for parents will be hosted this year, and the center is taking over career advising for the College of Education.

The Career Center charges a $26 fee that is incorporated into tuition and fees for all of its services. This fee, along with sponsorships from 11 different organizations such as State Farm and Target, help to pay for the variety of services and programs, such as the center’s annual Job Fair.

“We’re continually looking for ways to improve our services, reach more students and meet students where they’re at in their career development process,” said Angi McKie, the director of marketing and operations.

Some of the new features on Hireahawk — a website designed to help UI students find employers and career information — include Interview Stream and Going Global, as well as a way for students to make appointments with advisors online.

Interview Stream allows students to record themselves going through a mock interview and then review it to see how they sound and practice improving. Interview Stream has also been converted into an app for students to use on iPads. Going Global matches student career interests with businesses around the world.

“We knew we wanted to add a resource like that because more and more students want to have an experience overseas,” McKie said.

Director of Career Services Allan Boettger said Going Global is also useful because it allows international students to find companies that have sponsored international employees in the past to allow them to live and work in the United States as well as find companies in their home countries that may hire them.

Boettger said these improvements to the website are all part of the Career Center’s goal of being innovative and useful to students.

“We want to be a cutting-edge career center for the University of Iowa students,” Boettger said. “[Which means] being aware of the technological trends, being aware of what technologies students are going to use and being aware of how employers will use those to fill internships and full-time positions.”

Director of Professional Development Amy A’Hearn will host a webinar entitled, “Help! I need a job/internship! How you can help your student” on Oct. 16 for parents.

She will talk about the resources on Hireahawk, what career advisers do to help students, and suggestions for parents to help their student get their career search off on the right foot.

“I think it’s great, because again, we are reaching parents so they can in turn reach their students,” she said. “It’s really just another was of encouraging students to use our resource by informing their parents.”

A’Hearn will also be the College of Education career adviser this school year, and more advisers will be hired, starting next week. They will be helping with résumés, giving interview tips, and helping students work on their application for the major.

“As we see more students in the major, we are going to have more people to help out,” A’Hearn said. “We always want to be changing so we can better serve more and more students in all majors.”

Students at the UI said they are excited about some of the new services and features and encourage other students to utilize them. UI freshman Quinn Winkler said Interview Stream looks like something he will want to use before he tries to get a job.

“I think it looks cool because it gets you prepared,” Winkler said. “You don’t want to mess up in your first interview ever.”

Senior Nicolette Lindberg said she has used the Career Center several times in the past. She used the mock interview resource to prepare for a real interview and an advisor helped her touch up her resume.

She said she plans to take advantage of Going Global in the future because she is interested in working overseas.

“I do think it’s very important for students to get to know the services that the Career Center offers, pretty much because it helps you get a job,” she said.