Angie Boldt constantly working for Hawkeye volleyball

Volleyball is an off-the-court affair for Angie Boldt.

As the director of Iowa’s volleyball operations, the responsibility of organizing everything the Iowa volleyball team does aside from the games falls on Boldt’s shoulders.

“If there’s one gift I could give to every coach, it’s an Angie Boldt,” head coach Sharon Dingman said. “She makes every day for me and the players easier, and she does it without any fanfare.”

Boldt spent two years at the Alabama as its director of operations before coming to Iowa City.

“I was looking to get back into the Midwest,” Boldt said. “Alabama’s head coach, Judy Green, and Sharon are good friends. Sharon had gotten the job up here at Iowa, and it all fell into place.”

Boldt’s job, in part, consists of setting up the team’s itinerary for every trip it makes. For instance, this weekend, the team will travel to Columbus, Ohio, and State College, Pa., in a span of two days.

Making sure the team is where it needs to be — with the correct accommodations — is up to Boldt.

“I’m the master liaison,” she said. “I’m the liaison for what our team needs and the people that are going to help us accomplish the food or our stay. I’ll be the voice for Iowa volleyball when it comes to hosting events.”

Boldt’s job also consists of talking with numerous hotel and restaurant representatives in Big Ten cities to help accommodate the team — not an easy task when you have to make numerous trips in one weekend.

And it’s not just what they need, but when they need it. Boldt has to make sure the players and coaches are punctual.

“There’s more obstacles whenever you’re about to embark on a road trip,” Boldt said. “Bad weather, for example. There are things you can’t control but, on the fly, you have to make decisions about. That’s the most challenging part of the job.”

Setting up Iowa’s trips across the Big Ten allows the coaches on the team to properly prepare for opponents instead of worrying about where they’re going to stay after the game.

“Somebody will say, ‘Where are we staying in State College?’ and I’ll say, ‘I don’t know because I don’t have to think about that,’ ” Dingman said. “It’s a blessing [because] I don’t have to think about where we’re staying, but how are we going to stop Deja McClendon from Penn State.”

Other than setting up trips, Boldt is also close to the players she travels with on the weekends.

“She’s the one who coordinates the communication between the coaching staff and the players,” sophomore outside hitter Erin Leppek said. “She’s definitely a good mediator. And when there are issues with our practice roles or [anything else] Angie takes care of it.”

Boldt’s job doesn’t stop in he off-season. After games are over, she sets up events that help give back to the community. From organizing the team’s camps for children — the Little Spiker’s Clinics — to community-service events, it seems there’s nothing around the volleyball team without Boldt’s imprint.

“She takes care of everything that’s not on the court teaching [the players] volleyball,” Dingman said. “There’s not a single part of our program that Angie doesn’t touch.”