UI names new Vice President of Research and Economic Development

Daniel Reed has been named the next vice president for Research and Economic Development at the University of Iowa, according to a UI press release.

Reed, a current corporate vice president for Microsoft, will succeed current Vice President Jordan Cohen, who has served in the position since 2010. Reed’s term will begin Oct. 15.

“I am delighted to be joining the University of Iowa, one of this country’s great public research universities,” Reed said in the press release. “These are exciting and challenging times, and Iowa is strategically placed to help shape the future of academic research, enhance technology transfer and economic development, and address important issues for Iowa, the U.S., and the world. Working together, even greater things are ahead.”

Reed was the second of three candidate finalists to hold forums during the vice-president search. He spoke on May 24 about wanting the UI to become multilingual in research and said he aims to direct money from infrastructure to basic research, The Daily Iowan previously reported.

Reed earned a doctorate at Purdue University in 1983, and he has been a professor at the University of North Carolina and the University of Illinois.

The state Board of Regents will discuss Reed’s appointment and vote on his salary during a meeting today in Ames. The release said that Reed’s salary will be $345,000.

—by Kristen East