UI Police continue to investigate on-campus sexual assault

University of Iowa police are looking for information regarding an assault on campus last week.

According to a release by UI police, a female student reported being sexually assaulted near the Biological Sciences Laboratory at roughly 9 p.m. Sept. 6. The release said the victim was walking alone on the south side of Jefferson Street when she was pulled from behind and assaulted in an adjacent alley. The victim sustained minor injuries.

The release said the victim described her assailant as a white male in his mid-20s, 6-2, weighing approximately 220 pounds, with a medium build and short hair. She said he had a scar over his left eye, close to his temple, and no facial hair, according to the release. He was last seen wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and sweat shorts.

Chuck Green, the assistant vice president for the UI police, declined to comment further on the incident, but confirmed the woman assaulted was a UI student.

“We don’t have anything additional to report other than what the statement we put out contains,” he said.

Police are urging anyone with information on the incident to call UI police at 319-335-5022, or Iowa City Crime Stoppers at 319-358-TIPS.

The last reported sexual assault on campus occurred in Hillcrest residence hall on July 22. That incident is still under investigation.

— by Matt Starns