Cedar Rapids man charged with burglary, assault on officers

A Cedar Rapids man faces multiple charges after he allegedly broke into an Iowa City home.

According to a series of Iowa City police complaints, Zachary Ziemer, 22, was charged after officers responded Sept. 8 to a report of a burglary at on East College Street at roughly 9:57 p.m.

The complaints said Ziemer allegedly broke a screen door to gain entry to the back porch of the house, where he allegedly broke a window in order to enter the locked back door. The complaints said a resident of the home was in the kitchen when she heard the breaking glass.

According to the complaints, when Ziemer entered the home, the resident ran out the front door. Ziemer allegedly turned on the faucet in the kitchen and then exited the front door of the home as officers arrived, the complaints said.

The cost of the damage to the house allegedly caused by Ziemer was estimated at $250.

The complaints said Ziemer was arrested and transported to the Johnson County Jail. Ziemer allegedly refused to exit the police vehicle upon arrival at the jail. The complaints said he had to be escorted out of the car by officers. While being restrained, according to the complaint, Ziemer allegedly spit in the faces of two officers. The complaints said he had blood on his mouth.

Ziemer is charged with assault on peace officers, fourth-degree criminal mischief, and second-degree burglary. Second-degree burglary is a Class-C felony.

— by Matt Starns