Iowa City man charged with assault on officer

An Iowa City man faces numerous charges after he allegedly attempted to kick a police officer.

According to a series of Iowa City police complaints, Patrick Horras, 22, 1302 E. College St., was charged Sept. 3 after officers responded to a report of a fight in progress in the 200 block of Iowa Avenue.

The complaints said Horras was pointed out by several subjects as being involved in the altercation. He allegedly took off running when an officer ordered him to stop and talk with police. Horras was apprehended after a short foot chase, according to the complaints.

Horras allegedly had bloodshot, watery eyes and slurred speech. The complaints said Horras was taken into police custody. While in custody, the complaints said Horras was unable to stand and began to sway while sitting down.

An ambulance was called, according to the complaints, and Horras was ordered to get up and walk to the ambulance. He allegedly refused to get up. The complaints said two officers helped Horras to his feet and began to guide him to the ambulance, when he allegedly started to drag his feet and then let his body weight drop. The complaints said he then refused to walk.

Horras then allegedly attempted to kick an officer several times. In the process of this, according to the complaints, both Horras and the officers fell to the ground. The complaints said an officer sprained his hand in this fall. Horras allegedly kicked the paramedic staff several times during the incident, stating, “I will not stop fighting,” according to the complaint.

Horras has two prior convictions for public intoxication.

Horras is charged with assault on a peace officer, habitual public intoxication, and two counts of interference with official acts causing bodily injury.