Iowa City man faces multiple drug charges

An Iowa City man faces numerous charges after an Aug. 25 traffic stop downtown.

According to an Iowa City police complaint, Spencer Paige, 25, was charged after officers pulled over his vehicle for driving without headlights on. The complaint said the officers smelled marijuana coming from the vehicle.

According to the complaint, the officers noticed loose marijuana on Paige’s shirt as he exited the vehicle. He was then cuffed and searched, according to the complaint. Officers allegedly found a plastic bag containing five Adderall pills on Paige’s person. The complaint also said more loose marijuana was found on his clothes.

The complaint said a probable-cause search of the vehicle revealed several loose Xanax pills under the passenger seat, along with a suitcase that contained approximately nine grams of marijuana and approximately $2,600 in cash. The complaint also said there was a lamp commonly used to grow marijuana in the vehicle.

According to the complaint, field sobriety tests allegedly showed Paige was impaired, though a breath test showed no alcohol level in his blood. The complaint said a drug-recognition expert concluded Paige was under the influence of drugs and unable to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Paige is charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, possession of prescription drugs, and second-offense OWI.

Possession of marijuana with intent to distribute is a Class-D felony.

— by Matt Starns