Iowa City school district Physical Plant director resigns

Iowa City School District Physical Plant Director Paul Schultz resigned Tuesday morning, and responses from the community and school officials are mixed.

Assistant Physical Plant Director Dave McKenzie will serve as the interim director effective Sept. 7.

Schultz’s resignation follows two others from the district — Chief Financial Officer Paul Bobek, who resigned in January, and Human Resources Director Jim Pederson, who resigned in May.

Iowa City School Superintendant Steve Murley said it will only take a few weeks before officials can start the hiring process to find someone to fill the position.

Community member Julie Van Dyke said the resignation came at the right time, and she believes it will benefit the district.

“It’s about time,” she said.

Despite one community member sharing her distaste for Schultz, Murley said the district will wish him the best, and his resignation timing was beneficial to the district.

“People make personal transitions for personal reasons,” he said. “We wish him well with everything. Paul was looking out for the School District with his timing. He could have left after the school year started, which would have been more difficult to handle; that was a real help to us.”

David Dude, the district’s executive director of resources, agreed, noting that it will be tough to replace him.

“Paul served the district for eight and a half years, and it’s going to be tough to replace him,” Dude said. “We just want to move toward the future as quickly as we can.”