Steve Pritzker named Iowa rowing head coach

Steve Pritzker has been named the head of the Hawkeye rowing program, replacing former head coach Mandi Kowal, who resigned in May. Pritzker is only the second head coach in Hawkeye rowing history.

Pritzker has coached at Virginia for nine seasons, including acting as associate head coach since 2007. Pritzker led the Cavaliers to two NCAA team titles in 2010 and 2012 and runner-up status in 2005 and 2007. He is the only rowing coach in NCAA Division I history to win the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association National Assistant Coach of the Year award on two occasions, in 2007 and 2010.

"Steve is a proven winner with great experience at the national level," Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta said in a release. "He knows what it takes to win conference and national championships. I’m confident Steve will run a program that strives to be successful …"

The Hawkeyes finished last at the Big Ten championships for the past two seasons, scoring just 29 points; sixth-place Indiana scored 44.

Kowal resigned from the Iowa rowing program on May 30 after 18 years, following a lawsuit filed by a former athlete. Ex-Hawkeye Margaret Krusing claimed that Kowal led strenuous team workouts that permanently injured her legs.

Despite Iowa rowing’s earth of championships, Pritzker said he believes he can lead the Hawkeyes to the top of the rowing world.

"I’m very excited to work with the current student-athletes and build a program that competes for conference championships and is a national presence on a consistent basis," he said in a release. "The Big Ten is one of the most competitive and talented conferences in women’s rowing."

— by Molly Irene Olmstead